Thursday, April 27, 2006

‘Second Base’

After Yadgar I have moved to on VT. ‘Moved on’ and not just ‘moved’ because it is also perceived as a social improvement by my friends.

Recently the VP happened to ask me in the elevator while we were being dispatched to our floor. ‘Where are you staying Namit?’ I hesitated before saying the name of the place because I know how it confounds anyone who hears it. How it seems to be a contraption to make the mockery of the question. How it seems a cheeky retort. And if you happen to be talking to a VP it seems like contempt for a senior. So very carefully and after a long pause, I uttered the magical words which can make any abuse sound like flattery given the suitable context, ‘Ship Hotel.’

Her expression seemed to say, ‘Are you trying to be smart with me boy? May I remind you I am the VP.’ And then my expression said, ‘I didn’t name the damned building. And I can’t do anything about it. But I sure wish I could change it for you madam.’ And then she moved on to the more mellowed reaction ‘what kind of a name is that?’ And then we ended up laughing at the name at the cost of the person who named it so. The good thing is that you can always laugh it off at the third party’s expense.

No comments: